February 15, 2012

Call Me Cupid, Sweetheart

 Oh, St. Valentine... What a funny little holiday we celebrate in your honor.

Each year on February 14, people find themselves in one of the following three categories:

1. I love Valentine's Day! I love  chocolate! I love flowers! I love teddy bears! But most of all, I LOVE love! I can't wait to have a romantic celebration with my wittle snuggle boo boo (because people who love Valentine's Day also have really cute (stupid) names for each other). Note: If you are a newlywed or a 13-year-old girl you automatically fall into this category.

2. I hate Valentine's Day! It's a stupid day for happy people to brag about their perfect  boyfriend (or girlfriend, or marriage, or domestic partnership... whatever) and I can't take it anymore! If I see one more Facebook post of some jerk's perfect flowers I'm going to de-friend EVERYONE.  Every. Last. One of you. Note: You will often hear people in this category make comments like, "Huh, well... I bet she's miserable the other 364 days of the year."

3. It's a Hallmark Holiday. I will not pay $40 for flowers, $20 for chocolate and $3 for a card! This pathetic excuse of a "holiday" has one purpose, and that's for companies to make MONEY. That's right, folks! All that clever advertising has nothing to do with loving your spouse (girlfriend, domestic partner...) I mean, what kind of idiot buys a heart-shaped pizza?! What a bunch of suckers. Note: This is a really versatile group including people who are single, many who are in relationships, and intellectuals who think they are too cool for just about everything.

Notice the word that each category has in common? I. Such a short, yet powerful word. And if I'm being totally honest, the last few years I have had somewhat of an I, or me, mentality on this particular holiday. That's right - me, me, me.  

"Will Ricky buy me flowers? What about candy? I could use a new necklace. Doesn't he LOVE me?!"

I'm not particularly proud of my selfishness (ouch... that's always a hard word to swallow) on previous Valentine's Days, but in my defense I just want what every other girl in the world wants - to feel special. But this year I wanted to do things differently. This year I decided to turn the tables and make others feel special. I know, I know... it's a lesson we've been learning since when were little children - focus on giving rather than receiving and you will have a happy heart. Why did it take me until my 20's to really get it? 

 My plans to play Cupid began on February 13 with a trip to the grocery store. In my family, nothing says love like food. That's who we are, it's what we do... we eat. So while watching The Bachelor I baked red velvet cupcakes with Mimi icing. It's the most delicious icing you will ever eat - trust me. I will give you the recipe, but I honestly don't recommend making it without the strict guidance of Mother Ethel. The card doesn't fully explain what can only be referred to as special directions.... but we like it that way.

Mimi Icing

And no, I didn't know what oleo was either... I had to call Mother E from the store.
(It's butter.)


Here is a picture of the cupcakes
(which turned out fabulous, if I do say so myself).



Fast forward to 5:30 am on February 14 - the alarm goes off. I crept out of bed to make a surprise Valentine's breakfast for Ricky - eggs, bacon, and heart-shaped waffles. I knew how much he appreciated breakfast when he told me, "When I was in the shower I smelled bacon and I got really excited!"
  
Don't worry, it's fat free...



Little Ricky also enjoyed breakfast.
 



At 8:45 am I bundled up the kids and headed off on our Cupid mission. Our first stop was Sister Ethel's house. Sister Ethel is currently on bed rest while she cooks Baby Ethel (who is due in April) so I thought she needed a Valentine's surprise. She was so happy!! And for the record, she may be the cutest pregnant woman in the history of mankind.

A card to go with cupcakes



After leaving Sister E's house, we headed to Ricky's school to drop off more cupcakes. We stopped at Sonic for a Vanilla Diet Coke to go with the cupcakes. I texted him when we pulled up, and he was also so happy!! I haven't surprised Ricky at school with treats since we were engaged, and I forgot how much I love doing it. And for the record, he may be the cutest husband in the history of mankind.

Our final stop on Cupid's mission  may have been the most special stop of the day. We went to see Popeye. My grandpa (who we lovingly call Popeye) has lived alone for the last 20 years. You see, his beautiful wife - my beautiful grandmother, Mimi - passed away from ALS at 62 years old. She was too young, and it was too soon, but I take comfort in knowing she is with God. He recently moved in with Mother Ethel and Step-Fred, so I thought he would make the perfect Valentine! 

Guess what happened when we showed up with cupcakes and a Valentine's card? He was so happy!! And when I told him the icing was Mimi's recipe, the tears in his eyes and the smile on his face let me know just how happy he truly was. And for the record, he may be the cutest Popeye in the history of mankind.
 
After lunch and putting the kids down for a nap, I spent the afternoon cleaning house and preparing for a special Valentine's dinner. What did I buy? A heart-shaped pizza. Yep. How clever of me to buy a heart on Valentine's Day!

I also bought lots of goodies for chocolate fondue - marshmallows, pretzels, strawberries, and bananas. On a whim, I decided to make homemade peanut butter balls because, well... I love peanut butter. Throw in a bottle of champagne and I was ready to surprise Ricky (who thought we were having leftovers for dinner).

Much to my surprise, Ricky called at 4:30 pm saying he was on his way home. WHAT?! He wasn't supposed to be home until at least 8 pm! So when he walked in the door, instead of seeing a cooked heart-shaped pizza and warm chocolate fondue, he saw an empty fondue pot and an unopened bag of marshmallows. I almost (almost) got upset - my final surprise was ruined! But then I remembered... he came home early. And for a coach's wife that is always good news.

The funniest part was that he tried to surprise me with steaks and lobster tails! We decided to eat the pizza for dinner, have the steak tonight, and save the fondue for Friday night. So really, we're having a Valentine's week!

Also fat free.


All in all, it was a wonderful Valentine's Day, and I am happy to report that playing Cupid was the perfect way to spend the day!

So friends, regardless of which Valentine's category you fall into, I think it's important to remember what Valentine's Day should be about. It should be about telling those around you that you love them, they are special, and you're happy to be apart if their lives. Seems simple, right? Yet all too often, we set high expectations for ourselves and/or those around us and we end the day feeling disappointed or let down. Because let's be honest, deep down every girl (and yes, even some boys) want the fairy tale. Unfortunately, fairy tales aren't real. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. However, what I have learned in 3 short years of marriage to Ricky is that love is about making your own fairy tale. Here are a  few of the things Ricky does all year in our fairy tale... cue the cheesy music.

1. He works hard. Teaching and coaching requires a lot of time and energy, and he works tirelessly and selflessly for his students and players. His hard work is what allows me to stay home with Littly Ricky and the Bulldog, and that makes me a very lucky girl.

2.  He helps me cook... and clean... and give baths... and change diapers... and rock crying babies... and pick up dog poop... and all of the other daily things required to run a house and raise children. We're a team, and I think we make pretty damn good one.

3. He laughs when I get mad. At first I get even more mad, and then I eventually start laughing, too, and before you know it I forget why I was mad in the first place.

4. He loves our children. I mean, really loves them. Nothing in the whole world melts my heart more than watching him chase Little Ricky around the house or snuggle with the Bulldog while she sleeps.

(This is not the complete list. But it's time to feed my child so I gotta wrap it up.)

Yes, I still love flowers and cards and chocolate. But most of all I love my husband, and I would take him all year long over Valentine's Day any day. We are not perfect - far from it - but together we have found a way to make our imperfect life, well... perfect.

TTYL,
Lucy

P.S. Here's a picture of my newest Valentine...

2 comments:

  1. PRECIOUS! I didn't know you had a blog, excited to start following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the sweetest post. I loved every word. I am so happy for you and Ricky! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete