March 8, 2012

I Shall Call Her... Mini Me.

One of the greatest parts of pregnancy for me was the anticipation of who my babies would look like. In those final weeks I would wonder what color their hair would be, whose face would they have, and would they get my squinty eyes (and subsequently spend their elementary school careers telling the camera man, "But my eyes are open!" every year on picture day).

After spending nine long months waiting for Little Ricky's arrival, the first words out of everyone's mouths were, "He is Ricky's Mini-Me!"


Wait. What?! 

I carried the child for 9 months, enduring excruciating heartburn, weight gain, and various other pregnancy maladies (okay, my pregnancy was actually pretty easy... but whatever) and he comes out looking like someone else?! Not fair.

Now two years later, I love that Little Ricky looks just like his daddy. I mean, at least he doesn't look like another man. HA! That would've been bad.

Somewhat-related side story number 1:
When I was about six months pregnant, I made what turned out to be a terrible paternity joke to an old high school acquaintance that I ran into at the mall. She didn't know I was pregnant, so when she congratulated me I laughed and said, "Yeah, and I'm 95% sure Ricky is the father!" I don't know why that seemed funny at the time (that's a lie; it still seems funny to me) but she clearly did not understand the joke. She was obviously uncomfortable. I was obviously awkward.

Somewhat-related side story number 2:
Here is an actual conversation I had with a 2nd grader when I was about 8 months pregnant:

Student: "So has your baby come yet?" (he said this while staring at my giant belly)

Me: "Nope, not yet. You will know he's here when I'm not at school to teach you. I am going to stay home for a few weeks to take care of him."

Student: "Oh. So... are you having a black baby or a white baby?" (said with a very serious look on his face)

Me: "Well, it turns out I'm having a white baby."

Student: "Are you sure?"

Me: "Yes. Yes, I'm sure."

For the record, the only reason I think paternity jokes are so funny is because they are so ridiculous. Of course Ricky is the father of my children! But I still love the onesie given to Little Ricky by a friend that says I met my Daddy on Maury.

Anyway, Little Ricky obviously looks just like Ricky and here's the proof:





So when I found out I was pregnant again and it was a girl, I was thrilled! Will this one look like me?! By the way, I think it's fascinating that after spending years questioning my own looks I was excited to pass on my (questionable) looks to my offspring. Must be biological.

Now, whenever someone sees the Bulldog for the first time, their first question is almost always, "Where did she get all of the dark hair?!" And I'm always excited to say, "ME! She got it from ME!" So without further ado, I give you my very own mini-me!




(I was exceptionally squinty in that last picture. My new goal is to get a picture of the Bulldog looking equally as squinty... I know she has it in her.)

Almost two years later, I can happily say that Little Ricky has taken exactly one picture in which he was my  mini-me....


So there you have it, folks. Our very own Minis. And they're way better than the Cooper.

TTYL,
Lucy

P.S. If you have a few minutes I think you should watch the inspiration for my post. This never gets old...  

1 comment: